Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

Justice of Peace FAQ



What is a Justice of Peace?

A Justice of Peace (JP) is an independent person appointed by the Department of Justice in Victoria.

The role is a volunteer one and the JP does not get paid to fulfil its role.

What can a Justice of Peace do?

The Justice of Peace can perform very specific functions only.

In summary, a Justice of Peace (JP) can:

– Attest the execution of a document

– Witness a statutory declaration

– Certify a true copy of an original document

– Certify a person’s identity

Can a Justice of Peace charge fees?

No, it is illegal for a Justice of Peace to charge fees.

Where can I find a Justice of Peace?

You can “find a Justice of Peace” by searching a suburb, name, postcode, language or “find a signing

station” (where there are JP’s on roster) if you search at the Department of Justice website:

Is there a Justice of Peace that speaks Portuguese?

Yes, you can find them by searching the Portuguese language in the website.

If you can’t find one near you, we can recommend a Brazilian JP:

Maria Renata Younger (JP) – mob: 0413 180 768 (call to arrange an appointment)

Does the Brazilian Justice of Peace work for ABRISA?

No, ABRISA does not employ or manage the Brazilian JP. However, ABRISA makes the office available

should she need to meet to complete any functions of the role. (eg meet someone to certify


What is the difference between a Notary Public and a Justice of Peace?

A Notary Public is usually a practising solicitor or attorney. A Notary Public not only take oaths, signs

and witness documents for use in Australia but also perform similar functions in respect of

international documents. They often charge a fee for their services.

Can a document signed by a Victorian Justice of Peace be used overseas or by

the Brazilian Embassy in Canberra?

Documents signed by a Victorian JP are commonly for use within the Australian jurisdiction.

Sometimes, the Brazilian Embassy in Canberra will state that the document may be signed/certified

by a JP. In that case, the document would be accepted by the Embassy.